So, we’re moving further along with the fuel tank. The last post I did on this was more or less finished, but then I’ve done a little more.
Firstly I decided that the recess for the fuel-senser was a little tight (potentially tight) so i modified it, thus:
The black disk is cut from a piece of carbon sheet I had made and then changed direction. It was lying around.
If the bits of bog on there leave me with a surface that’s not flat enough to work with a rubber gasket (which I doubt) then I can also cut another disk and bond it on – the epoxy glue can go on as thick as I need and it’ll leave me with a good sealing surface. Similarly if the angle on the black disk isn’t quite right and the sensor doesn’t go where I need it I can adjust it a little with adhesive. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to get that disk in the right place, so here’s hoping.
So, the last things that have been done have been to paint a little resin over the wood to lift the grain. This is necessary so I don’t end up with the grain lifting when I spray it. Once the resin has set, the grain is lifted and a quick once-over with 120 paper on a sanding block did it.
- Paint the resin on carefully with an artists brush. I used a small paint-brush (it was late and I wanted the job done). I ended up with the odd run. I’ve sanded back what I can, but if I’d used an artists brush and taken my time, I’d have had less runs.
- When you’re mixing resin, get the quantities right. The last time I was mixing this stuff, I was mixing it one to two litres at a time. I had a little measuring jug from lakeland for cooking. This time I mixed 100g of resin, and added 20g of catalyst. It should have been 2g. It bubbles and boils and then weirdly doesn’t go off for ages. It ends up looking like cinder toffee. Of course, it also has zero structural integrity.
- Forming compound curves is difficult.