How to fit gudgeon pin c-locks

So this quick post is as much a reminder as it is a post. I have my lovely new pocketed omega pistons (88mm) and I’m assembling them on to the rods.

 

IMG_2689You can see the c-lock on the right there, and they’re not easy to fit. I had  a couple of careful exploratory attempts but decided not to go much further until I could either get this right, or buy a tool for it.

 

 

 

So, I found this you-tube video done by Orval Stuckemayer (great name) and he totally nails it. Put the gudgeon pin in, hold the clip in a certain way, push … and it clicks positively home. Bob’s your uncle … done. Pretty pleased with the speed this can be done with.

 

Flywheel is on

 

IMG_2617Well, after planning everything carefully on this, I ended up rushing it in anyway – I had cleaned all the mating surfaces with acetone, put thread-lock on the bolts and using my artists paint-brush, painted ARP ultra-torque under the ARP bolt head. Bolts were turned in hand-tight.

Then, I thought … I’m going to need to lock the flywheel, and got my one-size-fits-everything-but-a-duratec universal flywheel locking tool. No worries – a bit of bar, a couple of bolts, a bit of plate with teeth cut out and an inch of weld, and I have a custom tool.

Then I thought … meh – it’s 10pm and I need an early night, so I started to pack away. At that point a little voice in my head reminded me that there was thread-lock on the bolts, so I needed to do something pretty sharpish.

I grabbed an old head-bolt, dropped it though one of the flywheel holes and wedged it against a rib on the block. 2 minutes later and I had the bolts torqued up.

I torqued them to 95 lbs/ft, and did it in 3 increments of 30 lbs/ft per time. The fastening sequence was to fasten opposites. 95 lbs/ft is looking tight, on the tightness scale.

Mild setback averted.

crankshaft oil-seal is in

 

Here is the crank-shaft oil-seal in place, using the plastic insertion tool (not shown) and all new shiny bolts are torqued down to 10 Nm. Sorry, Davy, but I didn’t ensure I had lined up the bolt-heads with each other.

I’ve also put the seal in with assembly lube on the seal surface and the surface of the bearing. It’s horrible sticky stuff, made of cancer I think. I wore gloves.

Hopefully I’ve got it right, because they’re £50 each to replace. and an engine out as well.IMG_2601

Engine Balancing is extreme

So a while ago, I had the engine balanced and I thought I’d share the output of some this work. Below are my new omega pocketed pistons (for my outrageous cam), and the Saenz conrods and the box the pistons came in.

imageThe thing of note is the writing on the pistons’ box. It basically says not to change the pistons and pins around because they’ve been matched and balanced to 0.05g! that’s a twentieth of a gramme.

Happy with that.

 

Shiny new vs skanky old

so I finally started on the new race engine build. Rather than putting the old bokra back in I’ve put in some new ones: this is partially because I didn’t want to put the old bolts in, and partially because I didn’t really take care of all the bolts I took out of the engine and I lost some

image

Here you can see the difference between the old zinc plated steel bolts aNDA the new zinc plated steel bolts. I think I did the right thing.  The old bopt had actually been cleaned in acetone. IT still didn’t look very nice.